You’re here because you’re probably feeling overwhelmed and not seeing the immediate results from HubSpot? Well, you’re not alone. Many HubSpot users at the start are so excited to have the platform, that they jump straight into using the features, to find they are only utilising around 20%-30% of its full capabilities...
The general mindset is ‘Jump in early and figure it out later’. It’s only 2-3 months into using the system when you start to feel overwhelmed and things aren’t working out the way you wanted. HubSpot starts to feel like it’s bigger then Ben Hur, so you reach out for some ‘reactive’ support’. The good news is that this post will help you to stop being reactive and start becoming proactive to on-boarding with HubSpot.
It’s important to understand, HubSpot is a deep platform with many tools and technologies supporting its function. Just like any beast, you need time and you need to plan effectively to get the best out of your relationship. This post will guide you through the best possible on-boarding process (in detail) to help give you the best start with HubSpot - even if you’ve been using it for a few months.
Complete your HubSpot technical setup - for long term results
After on-boarding many clients, we often see the technical setup of HubSpot is missed. It’s overlooked because it’s the so called 'boring stuff' and it won't drive results immediately. Remember, your HubSpot license lasts for a minimum of 1 year (on a subscription model), so it’s imperative you setup the system for ongoing success. The first step is:
- Domain setup and integration with existing tools: Making sure that you’ve correctly set up your domains and sub domains within HubSpot. It goes without saying, but most users don’t have things setup correctly. It’s also important to integrate your website tracking codes and your install resources. Again, you may not feel these are that important at the start, but you will end up coming back to these later down the track and hit some big hurdles.
- Content settings setup: This is another section of HubSpot that is often skipped. Be sure to have your Google analytics linked up, error page setup, email subscriptions, default values, robots.txt exclusions in place, so that you are ready to start using HubSpot immediately. Leave now stone un-turned and complete all the HubSpot technical set up tasks within your portal.
- Integrations and importations: Import your existing contact list into HubSpot. Before you do, think about the state of your list. Remember, HubSpots model is based on the number of contacts you have within your database, so it's important that your list is full of rich contacts. Those contacts who are 2-3 or 4 years old and are obsolete, avoid bringing them across.
- Delete or build new templates: Now you’re in, you should think about upgrading or redesigning your templates (from the basic Hubspot set up, to something much more palatable). Your website and brand templates are the face of your brand, so it's important to get these stylised properly for a seamless experience. It's important to have these setup correctly within your design manager, so that national or global users can run with ready-made files
- Reporting: Before you start to build you website pages, landing pages, kick back email and workflows, setup your reporting and analytics. As you start, it's easy to build basic reports such as 'lifecycle' stages( Leads, MQLs and SQLs) when you integrate lifecycle stages into HubSpot. Your lifecycle stages will be created from Contacts, Lists, Workflows and other elements of the tool. It's also suggested you setup your smart goals early in the process. It's always nice to benchmark your results.
- Personas: The last step is to add your buyer persona's into HubSpot and make sure your contacts and tag them with the specific Persona name. Your should also setup a workflow to tag new prospects with a Persona name, based on a criteria. There's no need to setup more than 3 buyer personas when you first start on HubSpot. Your first campaigns should be targeted, so start small and build out other persona's later.
You will not be able to see valuable ROI from HubSpot until the technical setup is complete. Strive to complete all of your tasks within the first week.
Strategy and Planning
Using HubSpot after the initial setup requires planning and strategy. We have all heard the quote "Fail to plan, plan to fail". The strategy phase is the most important step when starting with HubSpot, yet we see 95% of existing customers don't have a plan. As we mentioned earlier, those that jump into the portal early and master one application at a time, will reduce their opportunity for big results. We recommend you start with the following:
- An inbound campaign: build to attract, not annoy. It takes every stage of your funnel into account to generate new, interested leads, and turns them into quality leads and happy customers through relevant, compelling content. You must start with planning a campaign funnel (TOFU, MOFU, BOFU offers- an eBook, a whitepaper, a webinar, a tradeshow, or even a product launch ) so you can start to build a targeted inbound marketing campaign. During this planning stage, don't forget to map out your goals, how you want to segment your lists and how you setup your workflows.
Once you have the campaign funnel setup, you can use the integrated tools to connect everything. There are 18 apps within HubSpot and you should be using almost every one within your first campaign. It might seem overwhelming, but its the easiest way to learn the system and maximise your return.
Implementation on HubSpot usage
Start small and grow big. Choose one offer and build out an entire conversion path for best practice (1 x Landing Page, 1 x Thank You page, 1 x Kick Back email, 1 x CTA, 1 x Form and 1 x Workflow). This allows you to streamline your personas to have a clear path and organised flow from the minute they initiate your brand.
Once you have built out the first series of offers, this gives you a chance to make sure everything is linked up properly and connected so that you have a seamless experience for the user. The aim is to monitor and track results using best practice methodology.
You can then build out your remaining offers, while your campaign is live and generating the analytics you need to optimise further content.
If you feel like you're not getting the most out of your HubSpot platform, try our HubSpot Platform Grader. You can not only see how well you are using the software right now, but what you could be missing out on. Take a look at what you receive for free.
"Using HubSpot after the initial setup requires planning and strategy... "
Learn more about chatbot logic and conversational marketing strategies from a certified expert, HubSpot's Brian Bagdasarian.
Check out the interview with Brian + US CEO Mike Skeehan